1854 Media is looking for a talented writer to assist the editorial team in producing the British Journal of Photography (BJP) print magazine, as well as content for the website.
The multi-award winning BJP is the world’s longest running photography publication, established in 1854. We publish a print and iPad edition, and daily stories on BJP-Online.com. The magazine is also supported by a series of annual initiatives and events, including the International Photography Award, Portrait of Britain and Portrait of Humanity. No week is ever the same.
Today, BJP is recognised by many as a leading source of inspiration and insight into the best cutting-edge contemporary photography. We pride ourselves on advocating beautiful images, but also ensuring integrity through high quality journalism.
As the summer draws to a close, BJP is looking to the future with a number of changes in the pipeline. We are looking to expand our small, energetic and ambitious team to work on the exciting projects that lie ahead.
We are looking for a talented and ambitious writer, who will work closely with the Managing Editor to help produce the print issue from start to finish, as well as having a key role in contributing written content to the magazine, website and social channels. Throughout this process, you will also work alongside talented photographers, curators, directors and writers. For the right candidate, this dynamic role will present an opportunity to learn fundamental skills and progress your career within this vibrant and exciting industry, while being supported by our team along the way. We believe that attitude and ambition are innate, whereas experience can be learned. We therefore hire for the former over the latter.
The role is varied, but much of your time will be spent interviewing photographers and writing features for BJP’s various platforms, as well as assisting with editing and commissioning and other day to day tasks. You will be joining a small and collaborative team, and we want to hear your voice and ideas.
- Researching, organising and writing features for both online and print platforms to tight deadlines
- Interviewing photographers and curators for articles
- Uploading text and images to a website using CMS
- Writing social media copy
- Dealing with the administration of work commissioned to freelance writers and photographers
- Supporting and assisting the editorial team with day-to-day tasks and responsibilities
Required skills and experience
- A degree in journalism, humanities or a related field, or equivalent industry experience
- Minimum of one year of professional editorial experience, ideally covering photography and/or visual culture
- Attention to detail with an eagle eye for punctuation, spelling and grammar
- Excellent communicator, both verbally and written
- Good, and preferably demonstrable, understanding of social media and social media copywriting
- Ability to thrive under pressure, and write and edit at speed with flair and accuracy
- Familiarity using CMS is preferred, but not required
- An appreciation of contemporary photography
Ideally, we would like to hire a journalist with an interest in, and knowledge of, photography, but our primary goal is to hire a talented writer.
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: £23,000 pro rata
Term: Four days a week, to start
Location: Hackney, East London
How to apply
Please send your CV to email@example.com (FAO: Izabela Radwanska Zhang, subject line: Editorial Assistant) with a brief cover email (400 words max) explaining:
- Why your past experience makes you well suited to the role.
- The unique personal attributes that would make you successful in the role.
- Why you want the job, both from the perspective of working for British Journal of Photography, and your own career ambitions.
Please also include examples of previous editorial and copy you have written (this does not count towards the 400 word limit) or a link to your portfolio/website.